Pond News

 It's that time of year!  The upper pond is lower than I've ever seen it, as compared to last year, when it was so very high.  I suppose that's the difference between 15 feet of snow melt and 10 feet.  As the ice started melting, we began to see fish swimming around - yay! - and no floaters so far.   Aaron bought a 50-pound bag of fish food before I could, and I've started feeding the fish almost every day.  The feeding frenzy has begun, and it's worth seeing!  Unfortunately, for me, I've been seeing mudbugs, or crawdads, or whatever you want to call them.  I think they're gross, and I'm constantly stepping on their carcasses on the dam road after foxes or coyotes or whatever have feasted.  

Today, I put in blue dye packets to keep the algae down, and I also threw in bacteria packets.  Both of these are so interesting, because as soon as they hit the water, the outer packet starts dissolving.  Since there is no water going over the spillway, the bacteria should have more time than usual to work.

I am reminded that three spring/summers ago, Mike and I put ourselves in charge of clearing the pond of so much algae...so much.  We'd go out in the canoe with one scooper net, one shovel, and a plastic bin in the middle and scoop until that bin was about halfway full.  We'd then go to the bank, haul that really heavy bin out, and dump it.  In hindsight, I wish I'd counted the number of times we dumped that bin.  But, of course, it was all worth it to have a really gorgeous, clean pond to enjoy.  And I only fell in the first time!

And three migratory geese on the upper pond yesterday and today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Veenstras' Trail

The end of summer

Rain!